What does "Up and Down" mean in golf?

When learning a new sport, you’re bound to come across terminology that just confuses the hell out of you. I think I’m pretty good at figuring out sports terms, but no matter how many times I read or see the term “up and down” in golf, I still can’t figure out what it means! I’m pretty sure  it has something to do with chipping the ball onto the green.  I asked my friend, Google, who pointed me to this know-it-all named Wikipedia and here’s what I found:

Up and down
Describes the situation where a player holes the ball in two strokes starting from off the green. The first stroke, usually a “pitch”, a “bunker shot” or a “chip”, gets the ball ‘up’ onto the green, and the subsequent putt gets the ball ‘down’ into the hole. A variation is called “up and in”.

Ah, I get it now! It’s just a term on how a player scores. It’s like golf’s version of an alley-oop in basketball or a one-timer in hockey. I feel better now.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s